This epic mixtape came up in conversation while I was chatting with the cutties back in The Bay and how it was the coolest thing we had ever heard when it first dropped.
I remember walking into Upper Playground on Fillmore @ Haight, hearing this popping off and immediately going up to the DJ to investigate what exactly this ear bliss was. This was in February 2007 when Hyphy was at its peak and right before Mash-Ups became as mainstream as they are today.
So many classic Bay slaps on this hour long mix, and somehow they actually work really well with all these old school funk and disco (some of which I recognize, and some that I have gotten to know over the years strictly thru this mixtape.)
Anyway, friday throwback and I couldn’t be more stoked about this. I spent 45 minutes scouring the Internet for this because somehow it had kinda dropped off the face of the electronic world. I lost this about 6 months ago when I got a new comp, but am so glad to have re-copped it and to now have created a permanent home for it online where the rest of the world can enjoy all of its glory.6:25 Federation - "Hyphy Remix"
6:25 Federation - "Hyphy Remix"
18:45 San Quinn & E-A-SKI
23:00 Too $hort - "Shake That Monkey"
35:20 Fronline - "Bang It"
39:35 Mac Dre - "Mac Dre IS The Name"
42:15 Bailey - "U C It"
Download this ish now if you got even a single fond memory of any of the songs in the tracklist below.
1. Chris and Ray/Kleer Intro
2. Keak Da Sneak – Super Hyphy (spellbound disco edit)
3. Too Short – Burn Rubber (dj spair/fatback remix/b.cause curse edit)
4. Federation f/ E-40- Hyphy (looking up to you remix)
5. B- Legit/Archie Bell – Strategy To Destiny (players edit)
6. Digable Planets say tay keylock with 40 and short
7. Messy Marv (citispeak reslapp happy)
8. F.A.B. verse (town speak revised)
9. Mac Dre – I NEED an Eighth (lakeside what it look like chop)
10. San Quinn & E-A-Ski – Hell Yeah (in too deep/in tune slommper)
11. Too Short – Shake That Monkey (uptown top-shelf re-vamp)
12. The Team – It’s Getting Hot (smerphie’s furnace synth remix)
13. Moses Music soul interlude with the Spencer Jackson Singers
14. E-40 & Keak Da Sneak- Tell Me When To Go (devastating to your ear mix)
15. The Pack – Vans (recurring spaceship blendit)
16. Frontline – Bang It (pioneers violin hollow slump)
17. Jeanette Day – Keak/Quinn/Ray Luv bay area interlude (heavy percussion edit)
18. Vaughan Mason/Monica Thornton – Give It up/Bounce (the bridge)
19. Mac Dre – Mac Dre IS The Name
20. Bailey – U See IT (shalimar’s juju 3 part edit)
21. Federation – (antibalas just b.cause mix)
22. Sandy Kerr – Thug Rock + e-40 Trying to Leave The Disco With Sumthin™
23. Messy Marv – Get On My Hype (i don’t want it unless orange KRUSH is in it mix)
24. Ronnie Hutson – Bay Area Poplock edit ’01
25. One Way – Pop It
26. Skyy – High (too short’s v.i.p. instro)
27. 11/5-Time f/ RBL, Marvin Gaye, Traxamillion, Chocolate Milk
28. Andre Nickatina w/ Equipto & Shag NAsty – Big Boss Talk (sal-soul’s levan dub split)
29. Dazz Band- Don’t Get Caught
30. E-40 & B-Legit- Gangsta Funk (don’t get caught re-visited)
31. Federation/Tussle- What If I Had a Gun (deep disco dub blend)